- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

21 July 2011

the blue bird

A tale about birth, life, death... and the eternal pursuit of happiness


Written by Maurice Maeterlinck in 1910, 
The Blue Bird first appeared in the form of a fairy play
intended for interpretation as theatre and dance.


It has since been adapted for film. 


Firstly, as a silent picture in 1918 then again starring Shirley Temple
in 1940 as 20TH CENTURY FOX's answer to The Wizard of OZ and 
once more in 1976.  Only the 1940 production managed to leave any 
lasting impression on the general public and the telling of the fairytale 
itself seems to have become somewhat of an obscurity in modern times. 

click HERE to read a story version of the play


It is however, most definitely, one of my favourite fables.


I first saw the Shirley Temple film at my Nana's house
when I was a little girl and I fell instantly in love with it.  
It has held a special little place in my heart ever since, 
and I have been searching for a copy to show to Ari.



I love the scene where the mothers are singing out for their 
unborn babies to sail down to earth and into their arms.


I recently found it on Youtube... and Ari loved it.


I hope that you will love it too. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment